You can mix the berries up for this recipe, or use just one type. – if you can still find some Elderberries it is a good plan to freeze them. Did you know that the Elderberry is a useful anti-viral and can help to combat cold and flu symptoms.
This recipe makes 12 slices
• 200g blackberries and Elderberries – without any stalks
• 200g Bramley apples peeled and cubed
• 150g butter – cut in to pieces
• 1tsp ground cinnamon
• 1tsp vanilla extract
• 100g golden caster sugar
• 225g ground almonds
• 1tsp GF baking powder
• 2 eggs
• 3tbsp flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. and line a 28x 18cm baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Gently cook the apple in a pan until it forms a soft puree, add the butter and stir to melt.
3. Transfer to a large bowl and add the cinnamon, vanilla extract and sugar and mix well. Whisk in the eggs one and a time.
4. Fold in the ground almonds and baking powder then pour into the prepared baking tray. Top with the Blackberries and Elderberries and lastly the flaked almonds.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and cut into squares when cool.