I made this cake for last weekend’s course in Staithes, – as promised here is the recipe. It’s great for baking ahead of time as it will store
Blackberry, Bilberry, Orange and Apple cake – makes 10 slices.
• 250g self-raising flour
• 175g butter – cut in to pieces
• 175g light brown soft sugar
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 rounded tbsp demerara sugar
• 1 small, whole eating apple
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• finely grated zest of 1 orange
• 1tsp baking powder
• 225g blackberries and Bilberries
1. Preheat the oven to180C/gas 4/fan 160C. Grease and line a 1.7litre loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Rub the flour, butter and soft brown sugar together in a bowl or a food mixer to make fine crumbs.
3. Measure out 5 level tablespoons of the crumbs into a small bowl. Add the cinnamon and demerara sugar and mix well and set aside
4. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, add the orange zest and then coarsely grate the apple in to the mixture (grate from the skin right down to the core)
5. Stir the baking powder into the large bowl of rubbed in crumb mixture. Then quickly and lightly stir in the egg mixture. – Don’t over mix.
6. Fold in three quarters of the berries and spoon in to the prepared tin. Scatter the rest of the berries on top then finish with the crumb topping.
7. Bake for 1 ¼ hours. Check after 50 minutes and cover loosely with foil if the cake is browning too much. The cake will feel firm when cooked, you can insert a skewer to check, it should come out clean.
8. Leave in the tin to cool for half an hour, then cool on a rack.